Is your car’s AC system in need of repairs?
If your car’s AC system hasn’t been up to scratch recently, there may be a failed part such as the compressor. As the only moving component aside from the TX valve, the compressor is more vulnerable to wear and tear. It is also the most important part of the system.
The compressor is responsible for pumping refrigerant through to each of the other components and is driven by a belt and pulley system attached to the engine. If it fails, it will not only prevent your AC from working but it may also damage other components. This is known as contamination, where particles from the compressor travel with the refrigerant oil mixture and settle throughout the system.
Think something might be wrong with your compressor? Talk to your nearest Cooling Specialist at Natrad workshops nationwide. Find your closest one here.
Signs and symptoms of failure
Not sure what your AC troubles mean? It might be the compressor. Have any of these occurred when you tried to use the AC?
- Weird noises: could be caused by worn or broken belts/pulleys. This could be related to several other issues that need to be addressed promptly.
- Smell of burning: likely the wiring of compressor is damaged or burnt.
- Leaking dashboard: clogged hose or drain could be to blame. Age and moisture can also cause system leaks.
The above symptoms indicate a severe problem in the system and should be fixed as quickly as possible.
Read here for more signs and symptoms.
How much do AC compressors cost?
If you’ve established a failed compressor as the cause of your AC issues, you might be wondering how much it costs to replace. The price is dependent on a lot of different factors which we will outline below:
- Extent of the issue: if the damage has spread to other components that cannot be effectively cleaned, they will need to be replaced too.
- Make and model: part prices vary for each individual car. A Natrad workshop will be able to provide detailed quotes on specific part pricing for you.
- Labour and repairs: there is more to consider than just the cost of a replacement part. When replacing a compressor it may be necessary to regas the system and replace other parts too. The labour costs of this job will also be factored in.
We can’t definitively name a price for any one car unless it has been inspected. Natrad workshops can provide a thorough inspection and diagnosis of any AC system issues. If the problem is the compressor, Natrad technicians will be able to supply a quote for expected replacement and repair costs.
In the case of system contamination, AC compressor kits provide great value for money. They include all the following parts which are crucial to the rest of the system’s function:
- Compressor oil
- Thermal expansion valve
- Orifice tube
- Receiver drier / accumulator
- Air conditioning system treatment
- Measuring cup
- System guard strap
Natrad’s compressor kits are supported by a 3 year nationwide warranty. If your AC system requires significant repairs, you can be assured these quality compressor kit parts are made to last.
What to do next
Now that you know what to expect, you’ll need to decide on next steps. To make sure the problem is properly diagnosed, talk to your nearest Natrad technician. They can advise what issues may be existing in your system and what repairs will be necessary. Pricing and repair costs will be supplied in a detailed quote.
Natrad’s talented technicians are the cooling specialists and help find the right solution for your vehicle. Find your nearest workshop here.